Scallion Pancakes - Favorite National Foods

Post Top Ad

Monday, April 3, 2017

Scallion Pancakes



One of my favorite dishes to order at a dim sum Chinese restaurant is scallion pancakes. These thin, round pancakes are crispy out the outside and chewy on the inside.

Until I started making them about a year ago, I didn’t realize how easy they were to cook at home!To make the pancakes, all you need are four basic ingredients: flour, hot (boiling) water, scallions, and salt.

The hot water makes the pancakes easier to flatten, especially during the first rollout. I tried this recipe with room temperature water, and the dough shrank back constantly. I usually boil water with my electric kettle and measure out 3/4 cups of the water inside a glass measuring cup. Then, I pour the water directly into the flour.

I also add garlic powder to my scallion pancakes because I think this adds great flavor to the pancakes. But you can skip it if you don’t have garlic powder in your spice drawer, or if you don’t like garlic. (A bit of onion powder also works wonderfully in these pancakes!)

The pancakes are great on their own, or paired with a soy sauce and vinegar based dipping sauce. Serve them while they’re hot from the griddle and still crispy!

Scallion Pancakes Recipe

 
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Resting time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings (4 pancakes)
 

Ingredients:

For the scallion pancakes:
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, optional
  • 3/4 cup hot (just boiling) water, plus a few more tablespoons, if necessary
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 3 to 4 scallions, thinly sliced
For the dipping sauce:
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil

Read More: Scallion Pancakes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Top Ad